Monday, May 3, 2010

Teacher appreciation~5

Teacher Jars and Etching
My friend Caroll had an etching craft party this month and it was really easy and fun.  Since then I have been a little obsessed...and I have been trying to think of something to make for our teachers with etched glass. 
D U T H I E
I used vinyl as the pattern.  I took  the letter out and used the vinyl that was left as the pattern. 
Then we dabbed the etching cream on to make the letters. 
I spray painted the lids white so they would all match. 
I added some ribbon around 3 jars and glued a flower to the top of one jar.
I filled them with breath mints, red pens and highlighters, candies, gel pens, #2 pencils, and paper clips.
It looks really neat (look close it is hard to see with the glare in the photos). 
You could just use the vinyl letters on the jars and that would be cute too!
Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!

10 comments:

  1. So cute! What kind of etching cream did you use? Did the stuff you used actually etch the glass or did it just sit on top. I used some I bought at the craft store and it didn't etch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelli,
    The cream is called Armour Etch and it really etches. Caroll got it at Hobby Lobby. You paint it onto the glass and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Then you just wash it off and the glass is etched. You can't scrape off the letters. It is so easy that I keep wanting to etch everything : )
    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont know if you seen this yet--but the lady I buy vinyl from just started selling it for her business...anyway, its "etched glass vinyl" it goes on mirrors, glass...and when applied looks like its etched! it really looks like the real deal!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a cute idea, Ang! ...What I want to know is were you really blogging at 4:21 am? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah~
    No, I dont blog at 4am! I schedule it. The blog posts automatically at that time.

    I was, however, up at 4:21am with a sick little Ty :(

    I love that you comment all the time, BTW. Thanks!
    Ang

    ps. Thanks for the tip Kelly! I will have to ask my vinyl lady, Amy, if she has heard of the etching vinyl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a CuTe blog...with AweSoMe ideas! :) Love your teacher appreciation gift ideas! Sooo CuTe! I featured them here:

    http://thecreativecrate.blogspot.com/2010/05/teacher-appreciation-ideas-cute.html

    Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ang, Those turned out soooo cute!
    And YES I actually have some etched glass vinyl! I used it to put quotes on mirrors for gifts one year! Remind me next time u r here and I'll show you mine!!! ;0

    ReplyDelete
  8. very cute. i linked your page to my creation for teacher appreciation! thanks again for the wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails